Madison Hall is the collective designation for the freshmen and sophomore dining halls erected in 1916 at the corner of Nassau Street and University Place and named for James Madison 1771. Five great Gothic dining halls are grouped around a central kitchen -- Upper and Lower Cloister (next to the cloister that forms the west side of Holder Court), Upper and Sub Eagle (named for the carvings at the ends of the ceiling beams) on University Place, and Madison Hall on Nassau Street. Designed by Day and Klauder, this imposing group of buildings was the gift of Mrs. Russell Sage, the Classes of 1916, 1917, and 1918, and others. They occupy the site of a hotel called University Hall, which, after eight unprofitable years, was given over to the College in 1883 for use as a dormitory and later as the University dining halls.
From Alexander Leitch, A Princeton Companion, copyright Princeton
University Press (1978).
Search A Princeton Companion