Golf

Golf came to Princeton in 1895 when alumni, faculty, and undergraduates formed the Princeton Golf Club, later renamed the Springdale Golf Club, and laid out a nine-hole golf course, subsequently extended to eighteen holes. In the first tournament of the newly formed Intercollegiate Golf Association in 1897, Louis P. Bayard, Jr. '98 won the individual championship.

Although other Princetonians won individual championships -- Percy R. Pyne 2nd '03 in 1899, Francis O. Rinehart '05 in 1903, and Albert Seckel '12 in 1909 -- it was not until 1914 and 1916 that Princeton won its first and second team championships.

In 1919 S. Davidson Herron '18, who had been a member of the championship team of 1916, beat Bobby Jones, then seventeen years old, for the national amateur championship. Herron was a member of the 1923 United States Walker Cup team.

Until the First World War, Yale led the Intercollegiate Golf Association, but after the war, Princeton came to the fore, winning the intercollegiate championship in 1919, 1920, 1922, and 1923. J. Simpson Dean '21 won the individual intercollegiate championship in 1921.

After an interval of three years, Princeton was on top again, taking the 1927, 1928, 1929, and 1930 intercollegiate championships. George T. Dunlap, Jr. '31 won the individual intercollegiate championship in 1930 and 1931 and the national amateur championship in 1933.

Another string of winning seasons came in the late 1930s. The 1937 team won the national intercollegiate championship, the 1938 and 1939 teams took the eastern intercollegiate championship, and the 1940 team tied with Louisiana State for the national intercollegiate championship.

Princeton enjoyed another period of supremacy immediately after the Second World War. The teams of 1946 and 1947 were undefeated in the regular season, and the 1947 team won the eastern intercollegiate championship in a day of exciting competition at the Atlantic City Country Club. In the morning semi-final round, Princeton nosed out Penn State when Harry E. Hall '48 won an extra-hole match by scoring an eagle 3 on the par 5 first hole, and in the afternoon final round against Navy, Dick Nash 45's hole-in-one on the par 3 eighteenth hole in the last match gave Princeton the championship.

William C. Campbell '45, captain of both the 1946 and 1947 teams, continued to excel in amateur golf after graduation. A member of seven Walker Cup teams and captain in 1955, he received the Bob Jones Award for Distinguished Sportsmanship from the United States Golf Association in 1956, and won the national amateur championship in 1964.

The sixties and early seventies brought consistently fine performances by Princeton golf teams, highlighted by the winning of eastern intercollegiate tournaments in 1961, 1968, and 1969, and Ivy League championships in 1972, 1973, and 1976. Winners of individual eastern intercollegiate championships were Mike Porter '69 in 1968 and Bud Zachary '70 in 1969.

Golf coaches since 1927 have included Walter R. Bourne, 1927-1945; Harry M. Kinnell, 1946-1966; Delos C. Schoch, 1966-1970; and Bill Quackenbush, since 1971.


From Alexander Leitch, A Princeton Companion, copyright Princeton University Press (1978).

Go to Search A Princeton Companion