Eno Hall

Eno Hall at the time of its completion in 1924 was, in Professor Howard Crosby Warren's words, ``the first laboratory in this country, if not in the world, dedicated solely to the teaching and investigation of scientific psychology.'' It was named in honor of the principal donor, Henry Lane Eno, Research Associate in Psychology. Another donor, then anonymous, was Professor Warren, chairman of the department, for whom, as President Hibben pointed out, the laboratory was the realization of a dream he had long cherished.

The Department of Psychology occupied Eno Hall until 1963 when it was given larger quarters, along with the Department of Sociology, in John C. Green Hall. Eno was subsequently used by the Department of Biology to supplement its facilities in Guyot Hall.

Eno Hall was designed by Day & Klauder. Above its front door is the motto originally carved over the portal of the Oracle of Delphi in ancient Greece: Gnothi Sauton [Know Thyself].


From Alexander Leitch, A Princeton Companion, copyright Princeton University Press (1978).

Go to Search A Princeton Companion