With the growing prosperity of the country, gifts for new chairs increased steadily and by 1900 there were sixteen. Thereafter, the number increased more rapidly: by the end of President Hibben's administration in 1932 there were thirty-five, by the end of President Dodds' in 1957, sixty-five; when President Goheen left office in 1972 there were eighty-seven. By 1976, there were ninety-eight professorships supported by special funds -- ninety endowed by gifts or bequests, five supported by the Higgins Trust (established in 1950), and three by current grants. Named for professors, trustees, alumni classes, individual alumni, and other friends of the University, they were fairly evenly distributed among the several areas of learning. About a third of the University's full professors occupy these specially designated chairs.
Go to Search A Princeton Companion