Dillon Gymnasium, designed by Aymar Embury 1900, was built in 1947 on the site of the University Gymnasium (destroyed by fire in 1944), and named in honor of Herbert L. Dillon '07, onetime football captain and a principal donor to the building fund. Dillon contains all of the facilities of its predecessor plus a six-lane pool, which is used for intercollegiate competition as well as for intramural purposes. Since Jadwin Gymnasium was built, the main part of Dillon has been used chiefly for classes in physical education and as a supplement to Jadwin for intramural sports.
From Alexander Leitch, A Princeton Companion, copyright Princeton
University Press (1978).
Search A Princeton Companion