In 1920 the council brought all of the Princeton alumni organizations into a centralized Alumni Association, replacing the Alumni Association of Nassau Hall, which had been founded in 1826 ``to promote the interests of the College and the friendly intercourse of its graduates.'' The Alumni Association, of which every alumnus is ipso facto a member, meets twice a year, as does the Alumni Council, which is, in effect, the association's executive body.
The Alumni Council is composed of presidents of alumni classes and regional alumni associations, and also includes all former chairmen who are life members, and a group of appointed members. The total membership is about 280.
Chairmen of the Committee of Fifty, the Graduate Council, and the Alumni Council have been: Cleveland H. Dodge 1879, Parker D. Handy 1879, Charles Scribner 1875, Francis Speir 1877, Walter E. Hope 01, Francis G. Landon 1881, Ambrose G. Todd 1884, Walter L. Johnson 1897, Lawrence G. Payson '16, Chauncey Belknap '12, Robert M. Green 13, Harold H. Helm '20, Lewis N. Lukens 17, Richard K. Stevens '22, John C. Williams '25, George E. Clark '29, Chandler Cudlipp '19, Dorrance Sexton '33, Walker W. Stevenson '35, George C. Denniston '27, William P. Wright, Jr. '33, Grant Sanger '31, T. Henry Dixon '40, D. Bruce Merrifield '42, Mortimer H. Chute, Jr. '56, Frederick L. Redpath '39, George Faunce III '47, and Donald P. Dickson '49.
Secretaries have been: George W. Burleigh 1892, Harold G. Murray 1893, V. Lansing Collins 1892, Alexander Leitch '24, Thurston J. Davies '16, Donald W. Griffin '23, Joseph G. Bradshaw '40, Charles L. Taggart '51, David G. Rahr '60, Daniel N. White '65.
In 1961, after a quarter of a century as secretary of the council, Donald Griffin was appointed general secretary, serving until his retirement in 1964. William D. Lippincott '41, previously dean of students, was executive director from 1968 to 1972. David Rahr has been director since 1972.
Go to Search A Princeton Companion