Founded in 1923, Arbor Inn was first lodged in the old Key and Seal House,
which had served as the home of Key & Seal Club for a decade. Arbor moved this aging Colonial Revival structure across and down the street, to 110 Prospect.
In 1935, the club occupied a new clubhouse, located on Ivy Lane next to
Gateway Club. A mock French country chateau designed by J. Eugene Carroll,
with its distinctive turret and direct French influences resembles no other Princeton eating club building. Its precedents lie in domestic architecture of the period, which saw a number of prominent architects turn to French country houses as models for their wealthier clients.
Of the purpose-built clubhouses, it also saw the shortest service as a club. Despite relying on student waiters and making economies, reports William Selden, Class of 1934, Arbor had to fold in 1939 under the economic pressures of the Depression. The building was taken over and served as the headquarters for the School of Public and International Affairs, later the Woodrow Wilson School. It has since served a variety of academic and administrative tenants.